Monday, October 22, 2007

The Polls Are Fucking Rigged, and So Shall Mine Be (Week 9)

Alright kiddies, buckle thy seat belts. Heeeeeeeeere we go.

1. LSU - Shaky? Yes. Dumb? Yes. Most talented team in the nation? Yes.
2. Oregon - Such a great offense, I just can't see them being stopped. They will lose at least one more though.
3. West Virginia - The defense is stout, the offense is the offense. We are gooood.
4. Florida - 2 losses, indeed, but I wouldn't want to play them.
5. Virginia Tech - unpopular, I know, but I have mucho respect for this team right now.
6. Oklahoma - I dunno how I feel about the Sooners, I change my mind too often.
7. USF - I know they lost at Rutgers, but I was more impressed than disappointed.
8. Auburn - I really like this team, even with 3 losses.
9. Arizona State - Who the hell is on this team?
10. USC - Like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.
11. Virginia - Why the hell not?
12. Ohio State - Just keep winning, no one good enough to beat them?
13. Boston College - DIE
14. Rutgers - Look. They are really good, they just F'ed up in 2 games.
15. Kentucky - I didn't buy into Woodson. I do now.
16. Kansas - Huh? I love their fat coach though, he rocks.
17. South Carolina - Ehhh, whatever.
18. Missouri - See #17. Just not impressed. Yet.
19. Alabama - Saban's a dickface, but he's a West Virginia dickface.
20. California - Holy collapse.
21. UCONN - Give the Huskies their due, they are better than I thought.
22. Cincy - Hard for me to put them here after losing to Pitt. How did that happen?
23. Michigan - They are mad sketchy, but seem to be halfway decent anyway.
24. Maryland - These guys are good, but can't hold up for a whole game. I think they get worn out because Friedgen eats their pre-game meal.
25. Louisville - They can lose to anyone (already proven) and can beat anyone (hopefully not the Mountaineers!)

As you can probably guess, my poll is a real mess. It is almost impossible to judge teams on how good they are while disregarding their record. Sadly, I must at least attempt this feat, as tOSU and BC are not top 10 teams. I will not fall into the trap of voting teams highly because of their record without taking what they've shown into consideration. If you disagree with my poll, please comment and let me know what you'd change. Also, please refrain from cursing me or calling me an idiot, as I'm really attempting to do this thing as best I can. Or, feel free to curse me and call me an idiot. I don't really care all that much.

As I see it, WVU needs to keep winning (obviously) and hope for some help. Fortunately, I think that help will come. I figure we'll likely get jumped in the BCS no matter what, but I don't care. We screwed the pooch at USF, and we have to live with that. If we can't play in the title game, I want at least a good BCS berth. That's one more chance to show the nation what WVU football is all about.

I will end on this note. Three years ago, WVU was getting blasted in the media for being ranked in the Top 10 for their schedule, lack of tradition (even though we played for the title twice already), and assorted other nonsense. We've come a long way people. West Virginia has proven itself as a top 10 program, and gets plenty of respect. So let's quit crying about ESPN and talking heads and other fans. You don't lose a game looking as poorly as we did in Tampa and stay near the top if people don't respect you. We are the Big East flagship, and people fear us. I wouldn't have it any other way.

4 comments:

Hamilton said...

Well said in the last paragraph - I have to agree that people are finally thinking of us as a legit contender, year in and year out. Pete Fiutak (whoever the hell that is) ever at Fox Sports has I down to play the Bucks for the National Title. Which would be wonderful, since they stand no chance.

Otherwise, I would give almost ANYTHING to play one of the Big East traitors in the Orange Bowl...That would sell out in .2 seconds.

J. Johnston said...

Can you imagine WVU-VT in a BCS game? That was one of the most underrated rivalries in Division 1 football, and most people outside the two states don't even know about it. It certainly needed a break to let everyone cool off a bit, but that would get it going in unbelievable fashion. Whatever town that game was in would never, ever be the same.

J. Johnston said...

FYI, Hamilton. Your blog is WAY more adult than mine!

Hamilton said...

Oh yeah, the thought of WVU-VT BCS game pretty much gets me arroused...

And yeah, my blog was meant to be kind of political with a bunch of my buds in law school in dc, but has kind of degenerated into a lot of college sports talk, since that's way more interesting.

But though I graduated to snobby Hoya-dum, I'm still a beer drinking mountaineer at heart.