Tuesday, October 9, 2007

BCA Considers Lawsuit to Push for More Minority Coaches

I'm not sure how I feel about this one.

Let me start by saying that there is definitely a lower than reasonably expected number of minority coaches, as noted in the article. Should there be more black, Hispanic, whatever coaches in college football? Well, based on the number of minorities playing the sport, one would think it's only natural for that same number to be reflected in coaching positions. Why is the number so low? I'm not sure. Maybe the system hasn't been opened up long enough that there is the quantity of minority coaches that are legitimately qualified at this point (I should point out that I don't think most of the coaches of any race that have jobs right now are qualified anyway, but whatever). I mean, for decades they were dissuaded from pursuing a coaching career, or just flat out not allowed to do it. Maybe we are just now catching up to speed on that front. I don't know the answers, but I would agree that the BCA has a point.

That being said, I don't feel like forcing people to do something with a lawsuit is really furthering the movement. If you want things to be righted and people to be treated equally, then the people in charge have to support this. They can't be forced to do anything, or there will almost certainly be a backlash. People do not respond well to force, especially those who are in positions of responsibility. So can we really force the powers that be to change their way of acting without changing their way of thinking? Or do we need to give it more time?

I know, minority coaches have waited to be more involved for longer than I can imagine. I'm certain that the progress hasn't been what they've hoped for up to this point, but there has most certainly been progress. I think it's important though, that said progress evolves on its own. The only way to really change a mode of behavior is by changing the mode of thought. People of my generation are much less inclined to involve race in their view of the world. Not that older generations are blatant racists, it's just that they've lived their lives and formed their opinions in much different times and social circumstances than those of my generation. Kids are now more exposed to multiple cultures than ever before, and that trend continues to expand. By the time today's teenagers are running the show, I doubt race will even be a factor anymore.

Unfortunately for all of us, however, race is still a factor today. No one wants to admit it, but the remnants of our hateful and divisive pasts are still with us. That is something that can only change with patience and time, not with lawsuits. Until viewpoints and perceptions are changed at the most basic level, nothing will ever change. Up to now, progress has been made, albeit slowly. Time is the only variable that will alter hiring practices and decisions. There is no way to rush things along. So lets all wait and see how this thing plays out, I'm sure it will be interesting.

No comments: