Monday, October 29, 2007

Weekend Observations



Well, The Editor was extra cool this weekend, and allowed me to watch mucho football, as you can see above. Actually, the only thing limiting my football intake was the fact that ESPN is a bunch of dumbshits and showed 14 combined hours of horse and auto racing. At least they know their Saturday afternoon in October demographic. Who the hell is running that place?!?!

Let me begin with my beloved. We looked fantastic this weekend, in what I would deem is our best overall performance of the year to this point. Damn, our defense is good. Not just pretty good, but damn good. Sure, the Knights helped us out once or twice (or 6 times) with dropped passes, but I don't care. We owned them, as the kiddies say. Also, their crowd sucked. They must only get pumped for night games. Ray Rice, however, is a straight pimp. He's a bad mf'er.

Ohio State looked good. Not great, but good. Again, they were battling the crowd at PSU more than the actual football team, because Penn State sucks. They really, really suck in fact. That being said, they're name is Penn State so I'm sure this goes down as a huge win on the Browneye resume. Whatever, I remain largely unimpressed. And for the record, the Big10 is completely unwatchable outside of OSU. The rest of that conference is beyond bad.

I can't believe Arizona State won against Cal. It's not that I thought Cal was too good to lose the game, it's that I thought ASU was too shitty to win it. I guess I was kind of wrong. Cal is worse than I figured they were, and Arizona State is a little better. I went to bed before that one was over, while ASU still looked like shit, so I can't comment on them too much.

Oregon is f'ing good. F'ING GOOD! In my mind, they are #1. Their only loss is to Cal at home (don't know how that happened!), but they would have won without a flukey Kordell Stewart-like fumble through the endzone for a touchback. I don't think anyone can slow down their offense, and their defense is pretty good too. They will be #1 in my rigged poll to come out tomorrow. They still play ASU though, and might have another tough game or two. We'll have to see.

USC, on the other hand, is a massive disappointment. Apparently Mark Sanchez, the Mexican football Jesus, is really not all that fantastic. Is the dominant run for USC over? Perhaps, but that remains to be proven. I don't really care either way, but I'd love them to be on TV less. I hate their uniforms with the burning passion of 10,000 suns.

Boston College is fucking garbage. 58 minutes of poop and 2 minutes of VT being VT does not a #2 team make. Nor, despite anything ESPN says, does it make Matt Ryan a hero. He was pure shit for most of that game, and only improved when VT backed off on defense. Bud Foster lost that game, Ryan didn't win it. Boston College will lose a game, THEY HAVE TO!! Traitorous scum-suckers. Tech, on the other hand, just sucks like we all thought they did. America's team has no offense at all, and their D is vastly overvalued. So are their special teams apparently. BeamerBall let them down.

Marshall got win numero uno. Against Rice. In Huntington. Hooray. Thanks Joe Manchin, for killing our strength of schedule by making us play those goddam clowns. What a lose-lose situation for WVU that series is.

HOW THE HELL DID WE GET BEAT BY USF?!?!? Oh yeah, turnovers, unpreparedness, and wretched playcalling. Thanks Rich. I sure am glad we look like idiots while they get beaten by RU and UConn. That's just great.

Speaking of UConn, their defense really is pretty good. They are very disciplined, and that makes up for any of their deficiencies. I am really impressed with them overall, mostly because I figured they would be as good as a mid-level MAC team. That kid with the dreads they have at running back, Dixon, is going to give WVU some issues. Mark it down. Their passing offense, however, will not.

The SEC is a pure clusterfuck. I have no idea who's good outside of LSU. I really don't. They are looking very mediocre on the whole this season. Mississippi State beating Kentucky and Auburn though, both on the road, makes our assbeating of them seem a little bit more valuable at this point.

Did anyone see the end of Pitt-Louisville? How bad did both those teams want to lose that game? They are both so terrible right now. McCoy, for Pitt, is a really good back. I can't believe he went to Pitt. It's already begun to drag him down, as you could see when he fumbled the ball on 1st and goal at the UL 1 with time expiring. Then he cried. He lost his mind in a glass case of emotion. Skirt. I now have no respect for him at all. Poor wittle guy.

Louisville still scares me, simply because I think at any moment they can drop 80 on somebody, and I don't want that somebody to be us. Dear God in Heaven do I not want that somebody to be us. I think the Kragthorpe will be our greatest ally in that game, as he is a terrible, program ruining, fan base thinning bum of a coach. He's the new Wannstedt, while Wannstedt is still the old Wannstedt. God love him.

Are there any teams I'm missing? Oh, Missourri, blah. I think they might be good, but are never on TV where I am. And Kansas? Ummm, I still haven't seen them play, nor do I care to. They are not good, and I don't care what anyone says about them. I blame ESPN. But I do like this guy!


Mangino has to go 375, but he wears it well.

No comments: