Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Coaching ClusterF--k Continues

Is it Butch Jones? Doc Holliday? Terry Bowden? How about Chris Peterson? Mike Locksley has been contacted, supposedly. Fisher's out, Trickett's out. What the hell is going on? Nobody knows for sure. Even the AD appears to be uncertain.

Frankly, the longer it takes, the less chance we have of getting someone shitty. Fine. Anybody have any ideas how they think this will play out?

Here's mine. Holliday is the #1 pick. The fan backlash terrifies the AD. The AD backs off and acts like the search is open, hence the Jimbo Fisher Incident. We botch the Fisher deal, on purpose, and look like we made the effort. Then we start talking about Butch Jones like he's for real. Everyone freaks again. Suddenly, the AD saves us from Butch Jones and names Doc Holliday as head coach. We're all relieved? Somebody give me a scenario that doesn't end this way. I dare you.

3 comments:

Hamilton said...

I have to say that after watching the Central Michigan game against Purdue I am extremely impressed with Butch Jones for two reasons - things we haven't seen in Morgantown since the Rod era began: 1: HALFTIME ADJUSTMENTS. Purdue was up by 21 at the half at this won came down to a last second field goal. 2: Play calling. Jones has a mobile QB and can't have worse wide outs than we have and he ran a great spread and had no problem calling aggressive pass plays. I saw his scheme, imagine it run by White and salivated. I still don't think he will get the job, and I agree Locksley would be better, but I think we need to give him a serious look. He's no more green than Rod was when he started.

Hamilton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J. Johnston said...

Looks like you got nailed on the post delay. I hate when that happens.

I will say this about Butch. I was impressed with his adjustments, as that's something we haven't seen at WVU in about 7 years (maybe much longer). I also loved his utilization of the spread.

The defense was awful, but I would think he can fix that with a good coordinator.

As far as experience goes, RR had more OC experience than Butch, but was never a head coach. In my opinion, that could be a wash.

I am much more optimistic about us under Jones than I am about some others, ie Doc and Bowden. We'll have to see. I appreciate your input on it, and I agree with most of it as well.

Still, I want Peterson, Kelly, or Locksley. But Butch, I wouldn't cry about.