Sunday, January 6, 2008

In Other News


The Golden Hurricanes of Tulsa (mascot shown above) are beating the dogpiss out of Bowling Green. I consider this fitting for 2 reasons.

1. BGSU has begged and pleaded for Ohio State fans in nearby New Orleans for the championship game to come and support them. They didn't sell many tickets and want some charitable Buckeye state contributions. I find this weak, and I believe the Falcons should be punished accordingly by the football gods. I know WVU returned a bunch of tickets for the Fiesta, but there looked to be WAY more than 10,000 Mountaineer fans in attendance. Thank you EBAY and StubHub!

2. Tulsa Head Coach Todd Graham and Co-offensive coordinator (I still think it should be Offensive Co-coordinator, but I digress) Herb Hand are both from the WVU system of coaches. I liked both men very much when they were in Morgantown, and it is no surprise that they are successful.

With all that being said, Tulsa has the most ridiculous mascot I've ever seen. It looks like a deranged empty ice cream cone with legs, tights, and a cape. Incredible.

Also: Paul Smith is a damn good quarterback. There might not be another Patrick White in our future, but there seems to be a plethora of great spread QB's out there for the finding. I have complete faith in our new staff, whoever they are, to keep up our level of success. Have I mentioned that I love Bill Stewart?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A "deranged empty ice cream cone with legs"? I watched the Tulsa game in a bar in Toronto (I was up there to see Rrrrrrrrutgerrrrrrrs massacre the Ball Staters) and I was asking my barmates what a caped Chicken McNugget was doing on the field in Mobile.

J. Johnston said...

Hmmm, I think your description is better. Except I've never seen a hollow Chicken McNugget. Regardless, the damn thing looks ridiculous.